WENNERMARK, OSBORN FIND VICTORY LANE AGAIN AT HAWKEYE DOWNS
(Cedar Rapids, IA 08/20/04)—Hawkeye Downs Speedway was the scene of KHAK/KRNA Coca-Cola/Budweiser Fan Appreciation Night on Friday night with some great racing to go along with enough prize giveaways to fill your local Wal-Mart store.
In the Barron Motor Supply Super Stocks, Chad Siems of Mt. Auburn became the first feature winner of the season using an IMCA Stock Car thereby earning an extra bonus from Special K Motorsports. Siems started the 25-lap feature in the second row and chased Paul Walder for much of the race before taking the lead with just three laps to go.
Randy Filling finished in second with Walder third. Kevin Franks and Jim Hanson filled out the top of the finishing order The Super Stocks will be converting to IMCA Stock cars next season.
Another Chad found Coca Cola Victory Lane for the first time this season as Chad Willet of Cedar Rapids crossed the Lint Millwright Start-Finish Line first in the Miller Time Modified division. Willett started the race out front and survived a couple restarts that kept the pack tightly bunched.
After a Yellowbook USA Caution with 7 laps to go the front five cars were running nose to tail but no one could out-power Willett to the checkered flag. Defending champ Bob Gase finished in second with current point leader Tim Plummer winding up third. Kyle Hinrichs and Arlo Becker completed the top of the order.
Despite some revised line-up procedures, Scott Wennermark was able to prevail once again in the Budweiser Sportsmen feature. Brian Franks held the early lead but Wennermark was up to second after five laps coming from the number six starting slot. He used an outside pass in turn two with eight laps gone to take the lead and his fifth win in a row.
Franks maintained second with John Henecke, Martin Ballard and Andy Duggan completing the top five.
Brad Osborn racked up win number nine on the season in the Performance Concepts Late Models. He started sixth on the grid and picked his way through a competitive group up front before taking command with just five laps to go. Osborn battled Jeff Watters for several laps before using an outside-inside move to take the lead. Watters finished in second with Dudley Fleck, third. Josh Krug and Denny Osborn also finished in the top five.
Scott Strauss earned a trip to victory lane for the first time this season in the Marines.Com IMCA Hobby Stock Feature, starting on the pole and keeping ahead of the field for the 15 lap feature event. Strauss won by a comfortable margin over Scott Siems, Steve Snyder, Brandon Herb, and Jeremy Meyer.
Strauss’ car returned to victory lane in the Women on Wheels feature with rookie Carrie Canahan piloting the car. The win was her first and came after her usual ride, the #77 of Mark Hauder, suffered mechanical problems and wasn’t able to make the show. Carnahan finished ahead of Jessica Hoffman, Kandi Floyd, and Pam Kemmerer.
HAWKEYE DOWNS SPEEDWAY
RESULTS FOR AUGUST 20, 2004
FEATURE (25 laps)
1. Chad Siems, Mt. Auburn; 2. Randy Filling, Toddville; 3. Paul Walder, Cedar Rapids; 4. Kevin Franks, Cedar Rapids; 5. Jim Hanson, Cedar Rapids; 6.Kurt Bohnsack, Iowa City; 7. Doug Simon, Marion; 8. Dave McCalla, Cedar Rapids; 9. Bob Ahrendsen, Cedar Rapids; 10. Cory Houdek, Anamosa; 11. Sonny Parker, Cedar Rapids; 12. Logan Hale, Cedar Rapids; 13. Wendy Carnahan, Cedar Rapids; 14. Greg Hentrich, Hiawatha; DNS- Brad Dvorak, Mt. Vernon
FEATURE (25 laps)
1. Scott Wennermark, Cedar Rapids; 2. Brian Franks, Central City; 3. John Henecke, Hiawatha; 4. Martin Ballard, Marengo; 5. Andy Duggan, Marion; 6. Bob Ahrendsen, Cedar Rapids; 7. Craig bender, Cedar Rapids; 8. Mel Schappert, Cedar Rapids; 9. Johnny Mudd, Cedar Rapids; 10. Rob Keeney, Cedar Rapids; 11. Jeff Brass, Ackley
FEATURE (25 laps)
1. Chad Willet, Cedar Rapids; 2. Bob Gase, Cedar Rapids; 3. Tim Plummer, Norway; 4. Kyle Hinrichs, Swisher; 5. Arlo Becker, Atkins; 6. Aric Becker, Cedar Rapids; 7. Larry Clausen, Cedar Rapids; 8. Rodney Rocarek, Mt. Vernon; 9. Steve Lindell, Marion; 10. Darrell, Long, Cedar Rapids; 11. Jody Lana, Cedar Rapids; 12. Scott Jorpeland, Marshalltown; 13. Brian Allen, Hiawatha
FEATURE (25 laps)
1. Brad Osborn, Janesville; 2. Jeff Watters, Mineral Point, WI; 3. Dudley Fleck, Cedar Rapids; 4. Josh Krug, Omaha, NE; 5. Denny Osborn, Janesville; 6. Chris Sevey, Waterloo; 7. Kyle Hinrichs, Swisher; 8.Jeff King, Cedar Rapids; 9. JJ Meyer, Cedar Rapids; 10. Lyle Williams, Center Point; 11. Tom Mangano, Cedar Rapids
FEATURE (15 laps)
1. Scott Strauss, Cedar Rapids; 2. Scott Siems, Cedar Rapids; 3. Steve Snyder, Cedar Rapids; 4. Brandon Herb, Cedar Rapids; 5. Jeremy Meyer, Cedar Rapids; 6. Terry Shaffar, State Center; 7. Bryce Mitchell, Cedar Rapids; 8. Matt Poduska, Cedar Rapids; 9. Perry Thomsen, Cedar Rapids; 10. Ron Dighton, Cedar Rapids; 11. Dave Gleason, Atkins; 12. Deb Mefford, Marion; 13. Tim Kemmerer, Fairfax; 14. Matt Lacoursiere, Cedar Rapids; 15. Chad Vozenilek, Fairfax
FEATURE (10 laps)
1. Carrie Carnahan, Marion; 2. Jessica Hoffman, Atkins; 3. Kandi Floyd, Cedar Rapids; 4. Pam Kemmerer, Fairfax