(Cedar Rapids, IA 07/30/04)—What a difference a week can make. Last week Scott Wennermark left the track with a badly bent race car. This week, thanks to hard work from his crew to repair the car, he won both 20 lap Budweiser Sportsmen features and took home extra prize money for setting fast time, running the fastest lap during the features, and a bonus for winning both features.
Wennermark qualified with a time of 19.862 seconds and then drew a ‘six’ which meant he would start sixth in the first feature. Wennermark ran down leader John Henecke and took the lead with just three laps remaining, using both high and low grooves on the track. Henecke finished in second with Kevin Korsmo in third. Bob Ahrendsen held on for fourth despite an ailing engine and Martin Ballard crossed the stripe in fifth.
In the second feature it was much the same story only it just took Wennermark four laps to snag the lead from Martin Ballard. Wennermark cruised to the easy win with Ballard finishing second, Henecke third, Korsmo Fourth, and defending champion Johnny Mudd was fifth.
Paul Walder of Cedar Rapids picked up his first win of the season in the Barron Motor Supply Super Stock feature. Brad Dvorak and Dave McCalla ran a great race for second, swapping position multiple times. When the checkers fell McCalla prevailed over Dvorak with Bob Ahrendsen and Jayson Scott completing the top five.
A full field of IMCA Hobby Stocks were also on hand Friday night and for a time it looked like rookie Griffin McGrath might notch the win. Jeff Selfridge took the point on the white flag lap after an earlier caution had erased McGrath’s lead. Selfridge picked up his fourth win of the season edging out McGrath. Scott Strauss finished third while Ron Dighton and Chad Vozenilek rounded out the top of the order.
Jessica Hoffman scored her second feature win of the season in the Women On Wheels feature. She took the lead from Kandi Floyd near the halfway mark of the race and raced to the checkers ahead of Floyd, Connie Binder, and Carrie Carnahan.
The Performance Concepts Late Models were also in action on Friday night with Brad Osborn racking up yet another win in that division. Osborn took the lead on lap 5 after then leader Chris Sevey lost the handle and skated up the track. Kyle Hinrichs moved into second on lap 7 and but couldn’t catch Osborn. Sevey finished in third with Denny Osborn and Jeff King also in the top five. The win was the sixth of the season for Brad Osborn.
Also in action Friday night were the Miller Time Modifieds. Defending champion Bob Gase posted his second win in as many weeks after converting to a GM Crate Engine. Gase amassed a huge lead in the course of the race finishing well ahead of Brian Allen, Tim Plummer, Larry Clausen and Aric Becker.
Feature #1 (20 laps)
1. Scott Wennermark, Cedar Rapids; 2. John Henecke, Hiawatha; 3. Kevin Korsmo, Atkins; 4. Bob Ahrendsen, Cedar Rapids; 5. Martin Ballard, Marengo; 6. Johnny Mudd, Cedar Rapids; 7. Craig Bender, Cedar Rapids; 8. Brian Franks, Central City; 9. Rob Keeney, Cedar Rapids; 10. Andy Duggan, Marion
Feature #2 (20 laps)
1. Scott Wennermark, Cedar Rapids; 2. Martin Ballard, Marengo; 3. John Henecke, Hiawatha; 4. Kevin Korsmo, Atkins; 5. Johnny Mudd, Cedar Rapids; 6. Brian Franks, Central City; 7. Andy Duggan, Marion; 8. Craig Bender, Cedar Rapids; 9. Bob Ahrendsen, Cedar Rapids; 10. Rob Keeney, Cedar Rapids
Feature (25 laps)
1. Paul Walder, Cedar Rapids; 2. Dave McCalla, Cedar Rapids; 3. Brad Dvorak, Cedar Rapids, IA; 4. Bob Ahrendsen, Cedar Rapids; 5. Jayson Scott, Cedar Rapids; 6. Kevin Franks, Cedar Rapids; 7. Kurt Bohnsack, Iowa City; 8. Terry Slayton, Brooklyn; 9. Doug Simon, Marion; 10. Logan Hale, Cedar Rapids; 11. Cory Houdek, Anamosa; 12. Sonny Parker, Cedar Rapids; 13. Jim Hanson, Cedar Rapids; 14. Wendy Carnahan, Cedar Rapids; 15. Randy Filling, Toddville
Feature (15 laps)
1. Jeff Selfridge, Marion; 2. Griffin McGrath, Cedar Rapids; 3. Scott Strauss, Cedar Rapids; 4. Ron Dighton, Cedar Rapids; 5. Chad Vozenilek, Fairfax; 6. Terry Shaffar, State Center; 7. Dave Gleason, Atkins; 8. Bryce Mitchell, Cedar Rapids; 9. Deb Mefford, Marion; 10. Roland Bohnsack, Clutier; 11. Steve Snyder, Cedar Rapids; 12. Matt Poduska, Center Point; 13. Mike Desotel, Cedar Rapids; 14. Brandon Herb, Marion; 15. Matt Lacoursiere, Cedar Rapids; 16. Scott Siems, Cedar Rapids; 17. Perry Thomsen, Cedar Rapids; 18. Bill Koepke, Cedar Rapids; 19. Mark Hauder, Dubuque
Feature (10 laps)
1. Jessica Hoffman, Atkins; 2. Kandi Floyd, Cedar Rapids; 3. Connie Binder, Clutier; 4. Carrie Carnahan, Cedar Rapids
Feature (20 laps)
1. Brad Osborn, Janesville; 2. Kyle Hinrichs, Swisher; 3. Chris Sevey, Waterloo; 4. Denny Osborn, Janesville; 5. Jeff King, Cedar Rapids; 6. Brad Dvorak, Cedar Rapids; 7. Brian Allen, Hiawatha; 8. Lyle Williams, Center Point
Feature (20 laps)
1. Bob Gase, Cedar Rapids; 2. Brian Allen, Hiawatha; 3. Tim Plummer, Norway; 4. Larry Clausen, Cedar Rapids; 5. Aric Becker, Cedar Rapids; 6. Chad Willett, Cedar Rapids; 7. Rodney Rocarek, Cedar Rapids; 8. Steve Lindell, Marion; 9. Darrell Long, Cedar Rapids; 10. Jody Lana, Cedar Rapids