WUERDEMAN WINS USAC MIDGETS, KORSMO CONTINUES TO DOMINATE SPORTSMEN
Wuerdeman took control of the race on the eighth lap of the scheduled 30 lapper and
then held off Derek Fisher of
More information on this race can be found at www.usacracing.com.
All six divisions of the Papa Johns Cup I-Wireless Championship were in action also on a night that was marred a bit by an uncharacteristic number of cautions and a very scary incident in the Miller Time IMCA Asphalt Modified division.
quarter-mile action, Nathan Ballard notched a feature win in the Marines.com
Hornets. The win was the second of the season for the Marengo driver in the
division which is running it’s first full season at Hawkeye Downs. Samantha
Barron Motor Supply IMCA Hobby Stocks put on another very entertaining showe with Ron Dighton of
Rounding out action on the quarter-mile track were the Barron Motor Supply IMCA Stock Cars. Brad Dvorak of Cedar Rapids edged out Bob Ahrendsen, also of CR, for the win taking the lead on the last circuit of the 25-lap event. Dvroak and Arendsen raced side-by-side for several laps before Dvorak got the upper hand. Chris Wessmer of Quasqueton nabbed third.
The race was stopped twice for cleanup after a pair of cars suffered blown engines.
Korsmo put another notch in his six-shooter claiming his sixth trip to
The first six finishers crossed the stripe nearly nose to tail with Bender posting a strong second while Lee finished third.
second 20-lap feature for the Sportsmen got off to a bumpy start with a couple
appearances by the Yellow Book Caution Flag before things settled down. Landon Cassill of
Johnny Spaw overcame a dropped cylinder to win the first 20-lap Performance Concepts Late Model feature, holding off a determined Chris Sevey. Spaw’s margin of victory was .138 seconds according to Alliant Energy Electronic Timing and Scoring. Spaw, who leads the points chase, started on the pole and led every lap of the caution-free race. Denny Osborn finished in third.
Chris Sevey, who pulls to Hawkeye Downs from Waterloo, collected the checkers in the second 20-lap feature for the Late Models. Sevey took the lead just past the halfway mark after passing Jim Ross. Sevey held off the pack on a restart with a half-dozen laps to go and finished ahead of Brad Osborn and his father Denny Osborn.
race wasn’t without some trying moments though as a scary crash with seven laps
gone brought out the red flag. In a chain reaction incident the car of
After a lengthy cleanup racing resumed with Willett eventually collecting the win over Becker and Plummer. Willett got the lead from Larry Clausen on a restart earlier in the race after Clausen faltered a bit as the green waved.
USAC FORD FOCUS MIDGETS
1) Ronnie Wuerdeman, Cincinnati, OH; 2) Derek Fisher,
Ballard, Marengo; 2) Samantha Blumer,
BARRON MOTOR SUPPLY HOBBY STOCKS
FEATURE (15 laps)
1) Ron Dighton,
BARRON MOTOR SUPPLY STOCK CARS
FEATURE (25 laps)
1) Brad Dvorak, Cedar Rapids; 2) Bob Ahrendsen, Cedar Rapids; 3) Chris Wessmer, Quasqueton; 4) Chad Siems, Mt. Auburn; 5) Cory Houdek, Marion; 6) Norman Chesmore, Rowley; 7) John Ness, Cedar Rapids; 8) Greg Hentrich, Hiawatha; 9) Mark Bolton, Cedar Rapids; 10) Wendy Carnahan, Cedar Rapids; 11) Randy Filling, Toddville; 12) Logan Hale, Cedar Rapids; DNS- Doug Simon, Marion
MILLER TIME IMCA ASPHALT MODIFIEDS
FEATURE (30 laps)
1) Chad Willet, Cedar Rapids; 2) Arlo Becker, Norway; 3) Tim Plummer, Norway; 4) Larry Clausen, Cedar Rapids; 5) Rodney Rocarek, Mt. Vernon; 6) Bob Gase, Cedar Rapids; 7) Pat Flannagan, Cedar Rapids; 8) Shawn Stinger, Palo; 9) Brian Allen, Cedar Rapids; 10) Jim Hanson, Cedar Rapids; 11) Scott Grady, Cedar Rapids; 12) Steve Lindell, Marion; 13) Keith Siefken, Cedar Rapids 14) Scott Strauss, Cedar Rapids; 15) Griffin McGrath, Cedar Rapids; 16) Aric Becker, Cedar Rapids; 17) Darrell Long, Cedar Rapids
BUDWEISER LATE MODEL SPORTSMEN
FEATURE #1 (20 laps)
1) Kevin Korsmo, Atkins; 2) Craig Bender, Cedar Rapids; 3) Kevin Lee, Cedar Rapids; 4) Andy Duggan, Marion; 5) Brian Franks, Central City; 6) Martin Ballard, Marengo; 7) Landon Cassill, Fairfax; 8) Mel Schappert, Cedar Rapids; 9) Dave McCalla, Cedar Rapids; 10) Gene Peterson, Des Moines; 11) Kevin Franks, Cedar Rapids
FEATURE #2 (20 laps)
1) Cassill; 2) Ballard; 3) Korsmo; 4) Bender; 5) McCalla; 6) B. Franks; 7) Schappert; 8) Duggan; 9) K. Franks; 10) Lee; 11) Peterson
PERFORMANCE CONCEPTS LATE MODELS
FEATURE #1 (20 laps)
1) Johnny Spaw, Cedar Rapids 2) Chris Sevey, Waterloo; 3) Denny Osborn, Janesville; 4) Dudley Fleck, Cedar Rapids; 5) Brad Osborn, Janesville; 6) Kyle Hinrichs, Swisher; 7) Jeff King, Cedar Rapids; 8) Landon Cassill, Fairfax; 9) Jim Ross, Cedar Rapids; 10) JJ Meyer, Cedar Rapids; 11) Scott Wennermark, Ely; 12) Brian Allen, Cedar Rapids
FEATURE #2 (20 laps)
1) Sevey; 2) B. Osborn; 3) D. Osborn; 4) Wennermark; 5) Meyer; 6) Fleck; 7) Spaw; 8) Ross; 9) Hinrichs; 10) King; 11) Cassill; 12) Allen